The London Proper: Interview with blogger Amber Lee Rosenzweig

21.1.14





The London Proper is one of my favourite new blogs, and what better way to introduce to it than getting to know its founder, Amber Lee Rosenzweig!


What’s your history with London?

I actually don’t have a long history with London!  I love Europe and really enjoy traveling.  When I was applying to veterinary school I decided to apply to schools in the UK as well and when I was made an offer by the Royal Veterinary College I just jumped at it!  My family was so supportive and I just went for it.

Do you find any major differences between the UK and the USA?

Of course!  I think that you find differences anywhere you go.  I grew up on the east coast right on the Mason Dixon Line and there were North and South differences just in that small area.  When I moved to California for college it was a completely different culture. And the state of California could be divided up into different countries too as far as I’m concerned. The thing is this is what I love!  There is a huge international presence in London and it’s the best.  There are so many people that have come here to pursue what they’re passionate about and getting to meet them and talk with them you just learn so much.  It’s a wonderful experience!

Where are your favourite places to visit in London?

You might not guess by looking at me, but I’m a huge foodie.  I love, love Borough Market! It’s definitely the way my heart!  Cheese, wine, chocolate, good coffee, what more could you want? Kappacasein is my absolute favorite.  Their grilled cheese sandwiches are always worth the wait.  Another of my favorites are the rose chocolates at another nearby stand and the Monmouth coffee - I always take a bag home.

I also love all of the museums and art galleries.  I love to know something about everything so it’s a great opportunity.  I go to the Cortauld often to see my favorite impressionist paintings.  I could look at them again and again - it never gets old!  The Royal Academy and the National Gallery are also great and there are always different exhibitions to see.

I also really enjoy just going for strolls in the beautiful parks.  I used to run through Regent’s Park daily and the park at Primrose Hill offers the best view of the city there is and then there is the boat pond in Hyde Park…

There is just so much in London!  Samuel Johnson once said “…when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life…” and I must say that I agree.

Tell us about your blog.

My blog is called London Proper.  It started as an outlet for me during my first year of veterinary school here in London.  I was in a really intense accelerated program and college was pretty much my only focus.  I didn’t have a lot of time outside of vet school to meet people or do many ‘non-vetty’ things.  Even though I’m a veterinarian one hundred precent - I love what I do - there are so many more things that interest me!  London Proper became a way for me to just talk about shoes when I wanted to talk about shoes, when I needed a break.

Moving to London, although I didn’t plan it, became a bit of journey of self discovery.  I feel like I have grown so much as a person and learned so much about myself since I’ve been here.  I know that it sounds cliché, but the blog also became a bit of a way for me to reflect on things that were happening and how my world was evolving around me.

Lastly, the blog became a great way for me to share the adventures that I was having with others!  Not everyone has access to the amazing experiences that I’ve been so fortunate to, so it’s really nice to give others a little bit of a glimpse into those 'charmed life' moments.

What are your plans for the future?


Well, I’ve always got so much going on and things are continuously evolving.  Right now my goal is just to finish veterinary school with distinctions and earn a residency in Emergency Critical Care medicine - I want to be a criticalist (think doggie ER)!  There are only a few hundred in the entire world so it’s an emerging field, especially here in Europe.  I will probably head back to the states to complete my residency because of this, but then I hope to come back and help to start a world class referral hospital right in the heart of London.  It’s my dream.  In the mean time there will be research projects, more writing for London Proper and Sweet Lemon Magazine and hopefully lots more adventures!  I’m just really happy right now and in a really great place.  It feels so good to be working toward my goals, but I am absolutely loving every single second of the journey as well.  I am so grateful for everything in my life right now.  It’s not perfect and I work so hard, but I love it and it’s all pretty incredible.

Clockwise: London from Battersea Bridge, Kappacasein at Borough Market, Cortauld Gallery staircase, Regent's Park

1 comment :

izzi said...

Great post. Looking forward to reading more. Thanks for taking the time to write this.
data backup service
cloud service provider
enterprise data recovery service

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground