Discovering DC with Brittney Ann Cardillo

27.1.14

It's fabulous to feature one of my favorite DC bloggers on Political Style today- Brittney Ann Cardillo, owner of the great Hosting and Toasting!


What’s your history with DC?
Well, if we are going to go WAY back, apparently I spent 4th of July here when I was barely able to walk, ha! But aside from my 8th grade field trip circa 2001, I didn’t really take an interest in DC until college. I spent two summers interning and taking classes at Georgetown while attending Virginia Tech and fell in love. It was then I decided to graduate early in 2008 and moved here permanently just over 5 years ago for a job. I worked in politics/the event world for the past 5 years and now work in events at a nonprofit. I also run lifestyle blog, Hosting & Toasting, on the side. I have lived the past 3+ years in the Georgetown neighborhood of DC and swear I am never moving from my house.

Favorite places to shop/eat/visit/people watch?
To shop: Sherman Pickey, Urban Chic, CUSP & Tuckernuck Pop-Up shop in Georgetown. I also love Dandelion Patch and Paper Source for a good birthday card, paper straw or stationery. All of these are in my neighborhood so it makes it easy to spend too much time (and money) there. When I feel like venturing a little farther, I love the Bloomingdales and other large department stores in the Chevy Chase area.

To eat: I could list an array of delicious restaurants here especially with DC getting an influx of new ones the past few years but if we’re being super honest…Los Cuates in Georgetown is hands-down my favorite Mexican food and I’ll jump at any excuse to eat it. Really.

To visit: I love the National Gallery of Art among other area art museums and while I am no art expert by any means, I enjoy an afternoon there with good company. Also in the DC area, I love to visit local wineries and vineyards as wine tasting is one of my favorite activities. And this goes without saying..Drybar (embarrassing but I am frequent visitor).

Perfect way to spend a Saturday? 
This normally begins with a trip to Le Petit Corner Store otherwise known as the Corner Store which is a few steps from my house. I love the family that owns this little gem and I visit often for bottles of San Pellegrino, diet cokes, UTZ chips, gatorades (when needed) and the best homemade chicken salad. They also have a variety of wines and delicious paninis. After this, I always have a to-do list that’s pages long so I try to check off all my weekly errands, shopping trips and work on the blog when I have time. If we’re talking about a perfect way to spend a Saturday? It would include brunching with my friends, mani-pedi dates, long walks, shopping, posting up poolside (in the summer) and a few instagrams along the way. Followed by catching up on reality TV (it’s my vice), magazines (I subscribe to too many) and getting ready for a fun evening out.

Best thing about DC? 
The fact that I can live in a “big city” full of opportunities, events and people but yet still feel small town-like with my car, familiar faces and a neighborhood to call home. (I don’t think I’ll stay forever but it’s most certainly grown on me.)

Make sure you check out Brittney on Twitter and Instagram!

No comments :

One Beat Designs Mlekoshi playground